Friday, August 23, 2024

Gambrill's yellow trail

My plan for this hike was to hike the entire Yellow Poplar trail at Gambrill. This trail forms a big loop, from the well-trodden southern end to the less-used northern end. It started off fine - if very humid - from a major parking lot in the southeastern part of the trail. From there, I headed counterclockwise.

It's a nice trail and a nice park. The trail is pleasant, with stands of laurel, plenty of ferns, and varied terrain. At the North Frederick Overlook, alas, there were a great many spotted lanternflies. But the view was terrific.

Gambrill State Park

I crossed under power lines, followed an old road, and ventured out to the Headless Hollow Trail. I used the road briefly so as to make a loop returning to the main trail.

Gambrill State Park

Along the western side of the loop, the trail crosses Gambrill Park Road. I crossed and headed through the woods, only to stop when I saw a bear cub in front of me, maybe 40 feet away, while the trail curved off the the right. To the baby's left was mama bear. She turned and looked at me, then loped off with baby following.

I booked it back the way I came, figuring that following the trail looked more aggressive, but then I had a choice - a long retrace, or a walk along the road. The road is safe enough with modest attentiveness, but the bears had headed toward the road. After turning the wrong way on it, I turned back around, figuring I would keep to it until I was well past the bear area. 

But as I walked along, I saw the cub again, maybe twenty feet off the road. I walked fast, signing terribly to warn wildlife I was coming. Eventually, I returned to the trail again. But the two encounters had taken enough out of me that I cut my hike short - after all, I hadn't gotten the entire trail anyway.

Gambrill State Park

So, yes, Gambrill, lovely, but next time I will hike with a friend.

No comments: