Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Sandy came to town

Sign down by TheTurducken
Sign down, a photo by TheTurducken on Flickr.
Sandy swept through New York last night, and let me tell you, I was very lucky to be where I was. The Upper West Side got off very lightly; I haven't lost power, and I haven't seen any major damage in my my immediate neighborhood. As you already know, much of the city and nearby areas were not so lucky and have sustained major damage.

The sign down in the photo was unusual enough that I wasn't the only one photographing it. The fact that a down sign was a big deal - as opposed to flood waters, floating cars, or fire damage - tells you a lot about how fortunate we were.

In Riverside Park, many small branches and a few trees were down, but frankly fewer than after Irene. I tried to go down to the Hudson River Greenway, but the police were blocking off the entrance to the Cherry Walk. That didn't make much sense to me, since the park itself was much more dangerous with weakened, falling branches, but I'm not one to vault over a police vehicle without a much better reason than curiosity. (I saw a few cyclists, making me think another access point was available.)

The roads and river were mostly quiet, although helicopters were constant overhead. One boat floated out in the Hudson alone and unattended and, seemingly, undamaged.

No comments: