Monday, March 3, 2014

Harriman Waters hike

Stony Brook by TheTurducken
Stony Brook, a photo by TheTurducken on Flickr.
Now, normally at this time of year, the hikes around here wouldn't be deep in snow. Up in the mountains, sure, but in the NYC environs?

Thanks to the polar vortex, this weekend's Ramblers hike in Harriman State Park (just north of the Jersey border) was, as you can see, a true winter hike. We hiked 11 miles up and down hills, including across frozen Lake Sebago. The trails themselves were crusted over with snow, trampled down in places, and slippery pretty much all over.

The hike started at Sloatsburg, headed east into the park along Stony Brook to Lake Sebago, and then west out to Tuxedo. None of the hills were killer, although I don't know our final elevation gain, which was a relief, as I was wearing snow boots only; I really need a pair of micro-spikes.

Harriman is, in my opinion, kind of pretty but nothing spectacular. I actually liked it better under snow. The views were better without leaf cover, and the snow provided a nice contrast. Also, the trail along the stream was quite nice.

Of course, I suspect that in a week or two, Harriman trails will turn into a slushy, muddy mess as the weather warms up. That may be wishful thinking on my part; at moments, I believe it will never be warm again.

No comments: