Friday, January 2, 2015

Happy new year hike

Warehouse

On New Year's Day, I joined the NY Ramblers in the annual Fat-Ass Ramble. This hike takes place the first day of every year in the city, although the route changes. This time, we hiked from Penn Station to Red Hook, for a total of about 14 (flat) miles. Although it was cold, it was beautifully sunny. The hike took us through some neighborhoods in Brooklyn I had never seen before as well as some neighborhoods in Manhattan I don't know very well.

It's a good way to start the year - better than a hangover, for sure. However, it was also a good reminder for me that while 2014 sucked in a lot of ways, not everything about it was rotten. I still have hiking and capoeira - and that is thanks in large part to my shoulder successfully recovering from surgery. 2014 was also the year I paid off my credit cards.

I don't make resolutions, but there are things I hope happen in 2015. They're things I have some control over, such as actually saving money, now that my credit cards are no longer draining it away. And I'm going to Iceland! So here's hoping 2015 continues the best of 2014.

No comments: