Sunday, January 3, 2016

Best books I read in 2015

My favorite books I read in 2015 were:

  • Black Wolves by Kate Elliott was a lot of fun. IMO, her Spirit Gate trilogy is her best work (I'm not a fan of her YA, and Crown of Stars just went on for too long), and this is a return to that world and voice.
  • Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho is a lot of fun. 
  • Loving Day by Mat Johnson was a book I enjoyed on first read, but it's surprised me by how much it's stayed with me.
  • The Man with the Compound Eyes by Wu Ming-Yi had warning signs all over it: It's an environmental cautionary tale and has a vaguely magical realistic feel. Yet it's neither heavy-handedly didactic nor warmed-over Borges.
  • The Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed was another one that was a good ride, and I'm looking forward to the next installment. (See, I do like fantasy, in spite of an extremely limited tolerance for epic fantasy.)
  • In the non-fiction category, Debt by David Graeber really upended some of my ideas about the history of money and thinking about debt. If you're an anthropologist of money, maybe it won't be revolutionary to you, but most of us aren't.
This year, alas, I was sorely disappointed in several books that I was looking forward or that came highly recommended. Also, there are plenty more books that I liked and would recommend - and some that amused me for a moment but are hardly memorable.

2 comments:

Wayward Hatch said...

I'm very envious of your reading time. I think I read maybe a dozen books in 2015 including re-reads. I'm toying with the idea of trying to read 52 books in 2016, but the prospect makes me tired just thinking about it.

Eve Proper said...

If I had kids I don't think I'd have so much time to read either.