Sunday, May 20, 2018

Walking the OCA in NYC

NYC OCA

The plan for the weekend was to camp in the Catksills, but the weather rendered that an unpleasant idea, so J and I cancelled our trip. Since we were both taking Friday off, we decided to go for a hike - it would be the only nice day of the weekend. We decided to do some part of the Old Croton Aqueduct in the city, starting at the main library. I figured we'd get 5-7 miles in. Instead, we kept going all the way to Sedgwick Ave., just shy of Van Cortlandt park, for a total of about 13 miles. And since I did the rest of the NYC portion in March and the Westchester portion in January, I've now done the entire OCA.

I didn't get a lot of photos of the beginning in Midtown - I'm there for work every day already. Above, you can see where the path of the aqueduct runs along the east side of Central Park, before it cuts over to the west. Until one reaches Highbridge, there are few to no signs of the aqueduct itself; the towers and weirs are gone.

NYC OCA

There are more remnants of it in the Bronx. There is a good chunk of it that is a slightly run-down linear park, seen above. Then there is Jerome Reservoir, where I had reached on my previous visit. From there, of course, the trail goes into Van Cortlandt and you can start to see artifacts such as weirs. Overall, the entire OCA was more interesting than I had expected (although, frankly, Midtown is still Midtown).

No comments: