Monday, July 9, 2018

End of the traverse

Mt. Jackson

After breakfast the next morning, I set out for Mt. Jackson. It was nice to take advantage of being on the traverse to reach a peak, rather than hauling up from the valley floor.

The trail was quiet, since day hikers from the valley hadn't reached the ridge yet. The trail passed through boggy areas, with modest ups and downs, then some modest rocky climbing. This was the first peak I found myself surprised to be approaching - the elevation gain from the hut is really quite low. The weather was quite lovely, and the views from the top were nice.

Mt. Jackson

I went down via the Webster-Jackson Trail, which is no joke.

Mt. Jackson

On the way down, the crowds picked up. What with it being a nice weekend day, they were considerable. Near the end, I stopped at Bugle Ledge for a snack, though, and had it to myself.

Mt. Jackson

From there I went around Saco Lake, back to the Highland Center, for one last night before the bus ride home.

It was disappointing to only make half the peaks, but that was always a possibility given the weather up there, and it was still a nice trip.

No comments: