Sunday, September 9, 2018

Backpacking the Escarpment Trail

Over the Labor Day weekend, I tackled something that had been on my to-do list for a while: Backpacking the Escarpment Trail in the Catskills.

Escarpment backpack

The Escarpment Trail is 24 miles in the northern Catskills. It's considered to be easier than the Devil's Path, but that doesn't make it easy; it includes two 3500 peaks and another climb to 3420 feet, plus smaller ups and down. My plan had always been to do it over three days, but the difficulty with this is that there isn't a shelter for the second night, and camping is tough along that part of the trail (it puts the "escarpment" into "Escarpment Trail"). So I revised my plan to two days, hoping to spend the second night at North-South Lake, which is the southern terminus. Of course, seeing as I waited until the last minute of Labor Day, all sites were booked.

From the city, I took Adirondack Trailways to Hensonville, then a short (pre-arranged) taxi ride to the Cross Road trailhead. One could road walk the 2.-something miles, but why add road walking miles? Because of the bus schedule, I didn't get hiking until abut 12:30.

The first part of the trail I had done when peak-bagging Windham High Peak. From there, the trail has some ups and downs and views. The above photo is a look at Blackhead, Black Dome, and Thomas Cole mountains.

I spent the first night in the Batavia Kill shelter. I was happy to see a lot of women out backpacking. I was pretty wiped. My right knee has been a bit grumpy lately, and I had to be careful with it, but more importantly, I haven't been hiking enough.

On Day 2, I set out straight up Blackhead Mountain. Here is the foggy mountain view.

Escarpment backpack

I realized quickly it would be very difficult for me to get to the end of the trail by dark. I could push on, possibly bailing out with a shorter route at North Point. Or I could camp along the trail. I hadn't really come prepared with food for that option. Or I could take one of the two trails down from Dutcher Notch and call it good.

I decided to do option 3 - figuring if I wasn't going to have fun, there was no shame in changing my plans. So I took the Colgate Lake trail, so named because it doesn't actually reach Colgate Lake. While it was still 4.3 miles, it was mild and flat to downhill. It was also surprisingly pretty in spots.

Escarpment backpack

(Also, it's a trail I need to complete for the all-trails patch.)

Luckily, I had service at the trailhead and was able to get a taxi to Tannersville, where I had a room waiting for me.

Perhaps another time I will hike from Dutcher Notch south to North-South Lake and complete the trail!

No comments: