Monday, December 31, 2018

My favorite books of 2018

Well, I read too many books this year.

Although on second thought, I'm not sure I read more books than in previous years. I just didn't reread much, so I read more books for the first time. 138 of them.

In any case, here are the novels I read for the first time in 2018 that stuck with me.
  • Blackfish City by Sam J. Miller. Arctic scifi, kind of like if Autonomous and Philip Pullman got together. 
  • An Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon. I'm a sucker for a generation ship, but this isn't like anything else you've read.
  • Girl Mans Up by M-E Girard. YA and not SFF, unlike most of this list. Teenager trying to figure out how to be who she is and not who those around her expect her to be.
  • The Wonder Engine and The Clockwork Boys by Ursula Vernon, writing as T. Kingfisher. Adventure! Romance! Funny things! 
  • Werecockroach by Polenth Blake. OK, obvs, werecockroaches, but specifically, werecockroaches during an alien invasion.
  • American Hippo by Sarah Gailey is a reissue of two novellas bundled together. Alternative history where hippos were brought to the U.S. and ranched.
  • The Steerwoman and its sequels by Rosemary Kirstein. Four books so far, with an unknown number to come. Reads like fantasy but is in fact sci-fi, and very much about science.
  • Criminal Intentions, Season One, 1-6 by Cole McCade. It's a TV police procedural, except in book form. Also romance. "Season One" is about half over. 

No comments: