Wednesday, April 10, 2019

A hike along the Palisades

Palisades

In preparation for next weekend's grueling epic hike, I wanted to do about 20 (mostly flat) miles on Sunday as my last shot at training. Then I spent Saturday doing trails crew before going to a party, and with sore quads + staying up late + maayyyyybe a few old-fashioneds, I didn't feel quite so ambitious in the morning.

I start off in Fort Lee, heading north on the Long Path, but not pushing myself. There are flowers! Deer! A waterfall! A very surprised snek! Also, my body is doing its annual spring freakout where it's like, "IT IS SO HOT, ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME," even though it is only 68 degrees.

Hiking to the women's federation monument is enough, I decide - just over ten miles. It's very close to the bus stop, and I once I get there I check my wallet, where I think I have $11 even though I forgot to stop at the ATM.

But no. I have $6. The fare is $7-something. This is why you shouldn't hike alone, kids: Always bring a friend you can mooch off of. I pull out the maps. To get the fare back down below $6, I would need to walk ... uh, eight miles.

So I get going. No stopping to smell the sneks this time. But I do plan to stop at the Palisades Park HQ, two miles down the road. At least I can use a real toilet before being forced to fulfill Past Eve's hiking ambitions.
But what do I see inside HQ, but the MOST BEAUTIFUL SIGHT of the entire day, an ATM.

Now, blessed with sweet, sweet cash, I only had to walk maybe a quarter mile to the next bus stop. I didn't even care that there was a long wait for the bus. Because I was sitting down, in a bus shelter, on my butt.

We will see how I fare Saturday when we hike the 24 miles of the Ramapo-Dunderberg trail.

Palisades

No comments: