Sunday, December 22, 2019

Hiking "The Six" in winter

A hiking buddy convinced me to do The Six in winter, despite thinking it was more than enough in summer, when there is plenty of daylight. So off we went.

The Six

First, we headed up Friday, which is a long, slow hike. M, our hike leader, set a nice slow pace that would be easy to keep all day. But once you get up Friday, you've gained the biggest portion of your elevation for the day.

The Six

Just past the summit you'll find the above view. From there we proceeded to Balsam Cap. Even though the first four peaks are not on trails, we were helped by following a recent set of snowshoe tracks. I will say that the snow, while it takes effort, does reduce the number of trip hazards as compared to the summer.

Lone

After Balsam Cap, my only photos are of the summits - it was getting colder and my camera was hard to get to. The photo above is of the last off-trail peak, Lone, which you can see we reached in the dark. From there we got onto the trail to Table and Peekamoose.

(This makes the latter two the Catskills peaks I have climbed the most times, at four each. Er, and also Slide, I've also done that four times.)

We didn't get back to the cars until about 11:20, so it was a very long day. And now I really don't have to do The Six again!

No comments: