Monday, May 17, 2021

Rockefeller State Park

As I am finally all vaxxed up, I went on what was only my third hike with my club, and the first out of the city, in 14 months. A hike from Tarrytown to Rockefeller State Park Preserve sounded perfect as a way to ease back in - long mileage, but gentle hills only.

Rockefeller SP Preserve from Tarrytown

From the train station, we walked along the water, past the Sleepy Hollow Lighthouse, finally turning inland towards Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. From there, we entered Rockefeller State Park and took a circuitous route through it, returning eventually to the western side. We followed the Old Croton Aqueduct back to Tarrytown.

Rockefeller SP Preserve from Tarrytown

Much of the park is open fields, and nearly all the trails are wide carriage roads, so it has a very different feel than the areas I typically hike in. I suspect that at the peak of summer, the open areas may be uncomfortably hot and sunny, but it was perfect for a nice spring day. The carriage roads had the benefit of more easily allowing club members to chat as they walked.

Rockefeller SP Preserve from Tarrytown

No comments: