Thursday, October 9, 2008

Area Woman's Weekend Ruined By Dissertation

I've had a little hitch in my dissertation progress, particularly frustrating because resolution of it was beyond my control. My chair was finally available to talk about it today, so I jumped at the chance. (Doing so actually meant missing a doctor's appointment - but it was a minor check-up on my ankle, not cardiac surgery.) Even luckier, my adviser wandered in halfway through. The upshot of the meeting was that I need to write up a particular document by early next week.

"What are you doing this weekend?" my chair asked asked.

"Well, I was going to go out of town."

My adviser piped up: "Stay here and get this done."

"I can - although my friend might be disappointed," I said.

"Is she in graduate school?"

"No."

"Then never mind her."

It was a joke - at least the part about my friends. Not the part about staying home this weekend.

No comments: