Wednesday, October 29, 2008

High school music

This mix brings back memories of high school - the good and the bad, but most of all the painfully earnest conviction that what you wear and listen to really, truly says something about the kind of person you are.

Wild Wild West - Escape Club
Think - Information Society
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Losing My Religion - R.E.M.
Unbelievable - EMF
Right Here, Right Now - Jesus Jones
This is Ponderous - 2nu
The Only Time - Nine Inch Nails
Girlfriend - Matthew Sweet
Dis-Moi, Dis-Moi - Mitsou
Get Ready for This - 2 Unlimited
Friday I'm in Love - The Cure
James Brown is Dead - L.A. Style
Teenage Freakshow - Screeching Weasel
Come Out and Play - Offspring
Moving Like Water - Sky Cries Mary
Ordinary World - Duran Duran

There was other music I listened to a lot in high school, but when I hear it, I don't get transported back (ie, U2). Other songs, some of the really popular ones, certainly act as a time machine ("O.P.P.," anyone?) but they were never music I identified with.

So YOU - yes, you, reading this - tag, you're it. Transport us back to your high school experience.

2 comments:

Dave Daniels said...

I listen to Quiet Riot and Culture Club. What does that say about me?

High school was Testament, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Alice in Chains, Anthrax... pretty much the same stuff I listen to now

Anonymous said...

I watch 'Right Here, Right Now' on Youtube every so often. That song reminds me of the late 80s quite a bit. I was in the military, in beautiful Hawaii, and I would have given ANYTHING to have gone to Germany or just Europe in general to see, live and feel the changes that were sweeping the continent (and world) at that time. That song and video capture my feeling on the subject quite nicely. Ever since then Romania has been a place I would love to visit. If I ever go back to Europe again I hope to finally make it.

About the only time I go to Youtube is to watch old videos or crazy videos from keywords like 'Stupid Americans' or 'Women Drivers' etc. Mostly old videos though.

I listened to a lot of hard rock/metal as kid. Def Leppard, Quiet Riot, Metallica, Judas Priest, AC/DC, etc. I also liked just rock and roll, but the harder things were what I really was drawn to. I still love the song 'Her Name Is Rio' by Duran Duran. REM and the B-52s were local (kind of) so I liked them as well. I still listen to the War album from U2.