Monday, June 30, 2014

Fahnestock State Park hike

Canopus and LaurelI spent my last day at Fahnestock State Park, about halfway between the city and the Catskills. My body was tired, so I spent Wednesday morning doing an easy hike, just 2.3 miles each way on the Appalachian Trail. The hike ended with a view of Canopus Lake, which was nice, but the real highlight was the mountain laurel, which peaks at the end of June. I could hardly pass that up.

The surprise here was how nice the campground was. I had a really pretty site, but all the sites were attractive. There are bathhouses (although my shower was cold), a nature center, a lake with a beach and rowboats for rent, as well as a pond. The pond was much prettier than the lake, and I ate lunch there before heading home. It would be a nice park for a weekend getaway from New York city, especially if the entire group wasn't rabid hikers.

No comments: