Friday, June 14, 2019

Hike to Huckleberry Point

Sometime early on in my Catskills hiking, I inquired about Huckleberry Point. Whoever I asked told me it wasn't all that great. So it didn't rise higher on my list of places to visit until recently, when other people told me, no, it really was nice. It seemed like the perfect destination last Friday, as we wanted a relatively easy dayhike not far from Devil's Tombstone.

Huckleberry Point

The first part of the hike I have done previously; it is also one of the ways to Kaaterskill High Peak. This part of the trail is on an old road and is not difficult at all. Then the trail to Huckleberry Point splits off to the right and proceeds to gain and lose elevation for a little over a mile. We walked through azalea (which smelled wonderful) and laurel (not in bloom yet) to arrive at the point, which is an overlook of mountains and a valley.

Huckleberry Point

This is a one-way hike, so you return via the same 2.4 miles to the start. (One could also turn and continue up to Kaaterskill, of course.)

No comments: