Sunday, September 29, 2019

A scouting hike in Harriman

Last weekend I headed up to Harriman to scout a hike I'm leading in October - my third try. Thankfully, I made it this time, even if the weather had returned to being unpleasantly hot.

Harriman

The hike enters Harriman from an entrance I don't think I've used before. It's a much gentler entrance than most of them, which head straight uphill. As you can see above, it's a hill, just more modest.

My hike was slower than the actual hike is likely to be, mostly because I had to do some route-finding when it came to old roads. So I explored more side trails, which took extra time.

Harriman

Unfortunately, in the afternoon I missed a turn off a road back onto a trail, and found myself at Pine Meadow Lake. It's very pretty, but not where I was supposed to be. I didn't feel like retracing my steps, though, instead opting to take an easy way out.

Harriman

Well, mostly easy. It was pretty flat, but part of it was on a bouldery trail following a creek.

Harriman

The downside of this hike is that there is a two-mile roadwalk at the end. It's not particularly interesting, and I wouldn't love doing it in the dark. Here's hoping the official hike doesn't have to!

No comments: