Monday, September 21, 2020

Across University Heights Bridge

I thought that the University Heights Bridge was one of four remaining Bronx-Manhattan bridges I had not crossed, so I took an after-work jaunt up there - only to discover I had been there previously with my hiking club. This time, though, I got some better pictures of it.

University Heights Bridge

On approach from Manhattan, you really can't get a good look at it. (From the Bronx, the view is better.) But here's a close-up of the little covered pavilions, which are charming.

University Heights Bridge

The walkway is only on the southern side of the bridge, and there are some nice views of the Harlem River.

University Heights Bridge

From the bridge, I decided to head down the east side on the greenway, which was a mistake inasmuch as it's a trap - once you enter at Dyckman Street, there are very few exits. It's not particularly well lit, and it is used by bicycles; I didn't fancy a collision. But I did exit at the Bushman Steps before dark. Along the way the Harlem flows into the East River and I passed under Washington Bridge, I-95, and High Bridge.

Three bridges

No comments: