Saturday, September 5, 2020

Bridges of the Bronx River

I'm currently on a quest to visit pedestrian bridges in New York City, so last weekend I headed up to the Bronx to walk most of the bridges that cross the Bronx River in the Bronx. 

Nereid Ave.

The border between the Bronx and Westchester is a bit jagged at the river, but the first bridge is at Nereid Ave. So I started there, walking back and forth between the east and west banks, sometimes walking along greenways, sometimes using sidewalks. (However, at the botanical gardens and zoo, I went around; it'll take a separate visit with admissions fees to visit those bridges.) 

174th St. bridge

Bridges include roadway bridges with sidewalks as well as pedestrian-only paths. There are other crossings, including rail and parkways, but those don't allow foot traffic. 

Bronx River

While this isn't the best way to see the river - that would be the Bronx River Greenway - I saw plenty of it, ranging from glimpses of it to expansive views. As it wends south towards the East River, it gets wider. Rather than stopping at the final bridge, I elected to head into Soundview Park and follow it to the end of the river. 

Bronx River

From there, it was a bit of a haul back to a convenient subway stop, so all told I hiked over 18 miles. 

E. 233rd Bridge

No comments: