Monday, January 29, 2024

Gravel turnpikes

This weekend was forecast to be solid rain, but Sunday ended up giving us a break. Of course, the previous night's rain on top of previous rain on top of snowmelt meant everything was wet, wet, wet. I opted to take advantage of the weather without tromping through the mud by heading over to Little Bennett Regional Park, where a couple of old gravel roads make for reasonably dry hiking.

Little Bennett Park

My plan was to do the Western Piedmont Trail, round-trip, but it was shorter than I thought. Thus, I added on Prescott Road and part of the Kingsley Trail. As old roads, these are probably the flattest trails in the park.

Little Bennett Park

With the water very high, I was glad for stout bridges - there were no wet stream crossings. And the trails themselves were damp, but generally not muddy.



No comments: