Thursday, March 13, 2008

Computer issues

My iBook has been acting sluggish, and lately it has gotten worse. Hard disk space seems to have disappeared, and I've gotten a few memory warnings. So I took it in to the Genius Bar, where my own personal genius recommended erasing and reinstalling everything. (After first backing up my data on my external drive, of course.) There probably is a lot of cruft in my system. I've had this laptop for 2 1/2 years, and when I bought it I simply transferred the hard drive over from my previous laptop also of 2 1/2 years.

Still, this could be an expensive proposition. I have software I rely on that can't be easily replaced. Don't think I'm a pirate, mind you. For example, I have EndNote because at IUPUI students could get a copy for free. At Vanderbilt, it would cost me $110.

At least I don't need to figure it out immediately.

No comments: