Thursday, June 14, 2018

Scouting Terrace Pond

Terrace Pond scout

I'll save the full writeup for after this week's official hike, but last Friday I went to scout the hike I'll be leading this weekend. It was a return to Waywayanda, where we backpacked a few weeks ago. What I will tell you about is why I didn't scout it completely.

I was hiking alone through a very scenic pine forest with plenty of scrambly bits, when there was a loud crash off to my right. "That was loud even for a squirrel," thought I. It was not a squirrel, but two very small and very adorable bear cubs booking it up a tree. While I am no ursine expert, I knew this meant a not very small and not very adorable mama bear was nearby. I hightailed it back the way I came.

The photo above was taken not long before the bear incident, and does not reflect the lovely views, the cute waterfall, or the budding laurel that I also saw on this hike.

No comments: