Monday, April 20, 2020

Randall's Island

Another weekend, another hike at the edge of my safe range. It occurs to me that 8 miles is doable without eating or drinking (and hence unmasking), but as it gets hotter, than won't be true...

Nevertheless, I set out to walk to Randall's Island, basically a straight shot east.

Central Park

While I should know better, I thought, "I'll go through Central Park," rather than walking the three blocks north to the edge of the park. It's not just the distance; it's also that the park itself is more interesting. Of course, it's impossible to walk a nice straight line through the park, so I actually walked a half mile further than necessary. Not a big deal, except that meant less time on Randall's Island.

Randall's Island

Then across the east side and over the pedestrian bridge. I walked along the south shore, getting a nice view of the east side, Roosevelt Island, and Queens. At Hell Gate Bridge I turned around. I really love that bridge, and if I'd had more time (or could hop public transit home!), I'd have walked under it.

Randall's Island

On the way home, I did take the north edge of the park. In fact, I actually took the outer sidewalk - too many people were out on the path for comfortable social distancing.

No comments: