Saturday, March 20, 2021

Lost Clove Trail

For reasons too tedious to get into, I decided to knock off a trail of no particular distinction on my last day in the Catskills, and headed west to the Lost Clove Trail. It is one of many access points to the trails around Belleayre, and it doesn't lead directly to any high peaks or spectacular views, so it gets less use. I had it entirely to myself on this trip.

Lost Clove

The hike follows an old road very steeply up a hillside, gaining 1,500 feet of elevation over 1.2 or 1.3 miles, depending on the source you believe. Either way, it's straight up.

The good news was there was no snow at lower elevations, and even near the top I never need spikes.

Lost Clove

This hike doesn't offer much in the way of scenery, rewards, etc. at other times of the year, but I would recommend doing it when the leaves are off the trees. That's because on one side there are continuous views of Balsam Mountain through the woods that would be hidden when the leaves are out. 

No comments: