Sunday, March 28, 2021

Two trails at South Mountain Reservation

At the end of spring break, I went out to New Jersey and met K for two hikes at South Mountain. We had a nice sunny day, perfect for hiking. 

The first was a very short jaunt to Hemlock Falls, via a different approach than I've used before.

Hemlock Falls

We then drove to a different trailhead and did the Mayapple Loop. I should have guessed this from the map, but since this trail circles the edge of the park, houses and condos were nearly continuously visible on our right the entire hike. 

The map indicated one Mayapple Rock, which I was curious to see. It turned out to be a large, knobbly rock (maybe a glacial erratic?). It was a nice hike, but I think I prefer other trails within the park, which offer fewer reminders of suburbia.

South Mountain

No comments: