Wednesday, February 14, 2007

That's why they're the professors

My cold will not go away, and so I have resorted to desperate measures such as drinking orange juice. Since the world keeps on revolving without me, though, it's off to classes and whatnot I go.

A couple of professors in our department have a quantitative seminar every week or so in which they grapple with a technically difficult article. They invite students but don't recommend you come until at least your second year. They're currently on an instrumental variable kick - the topics tend to be driven by the work they're doing at the moment. I went today for the first time. The articles are supposed to be challenging, and I would have found this one plenty difficult even without the IQ point loss a cold occasions. As it was, all I could do was hang on for dear life to follow what was going on.

No comments: