Thursday, June 12, 2008

Half done

The second of our four conferences ended today. With two in a row, everything else falls by the wayside, and I realized tonight that my apartment is a mess. I couldn't face tackling it all, but I did clear off my desk. Normally I can't stand having crap on my desk, yet it was piled with books and papers. I should have also gone to the gym to work off some conference food calories, but I really preferred to cocoon.

Tomorrow I will spend most of the day at this event. While on campus, I'll stop in the library to pick up some books on topic x. My chair emailed me today to ask if I had any new thoughts on it, and my response was, "Since yesterday?" (We'd chatted somewhat extensively.) Really, all I'd done was to download some more articles and look up books in the card catalog. So tomorrow I will attempt to acquire said books. Hopefully this weekend I can dive into getting some work done.

On a totally unrelated note, I hate to admit this, but what the heck is RSS? Why would I want to use it? Can anyone explain this to me?

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

*laugh*
I read your blog through RSS. It and Atom are the two protocols that are used for a newsreader such as google reader.

Eve Proper said...

OK, but what does a newsreader actually do? I mean, I know how to read already. (I realize that I am probably way behind the technology curve here and second graders all over the country probably are ahead of me.)

Anonymous said...

It lets you read all of your blogs at once, without having to click on all your bookmarks one at a time. So I can just click one button on Bloglines, and read all new Turducken posts, all new Treehugger posts, all new Flangy news posts, and the new Dilbert cartoon (though its good to keep things in categories). It keeps track of what you've read and haven't read, so you're not rereading anything. It saves A LOT of time, especially if you tend to go to a lot of websites everyday to check for updates.

Eve Proper said...

Thanks! Anyone have any recommendations for one reader over another?