Saturday, January 30, 2010

Blizzard 2010, Take Two

We're snowed in, and it's fun to watch Nashville try and cope. Now, I fully understand that it snows here so infrequently that it doesn't make economic sense to keep a full set of plows on hand. I also understand that driving in the snow is a skill that takes practice, and most people here haven't had much opportunity to practice it. So I'm not laughing at the drivers. Nor am I laughing at those seriously impacted by the snow; there aren't enough beds for the homeless now, because some of the places have had to temporarily close since their volunteers can't get there.

But some of the choices people make leave me baffled. There was a woman crossing the street, glaring at the dirty piles of mush as she gingerly tried to avoid them. What, I wonder, made her think clogs were the right choice in footwear for today?

Then there were the parents who were letting their kids sled in the street. "It's OK, I'm watching the traffic," said the dad. This was said only a few blocks from Shelby Golf Course, where I anticipate most of East Nashville's children are at this moment.

I would have wondered at the mailman wearing shorts, except given my friends who have worked for the post office (N=1), this doesn't surprise me at all.

No comments: