Monday, December 28, 2020

Up Dutcher Notch

Due to anxiety about driving on black ice, I skipped doing a 3500 peak my second day in the Catskills in favor of a trail that was close to my motel. I needed to hit Dutcher Notch eventually for the all-trails patch, anyway.

Dutcher Notch is a steep climb up to the Escarpment Trail. One could use it as a way to reach Blackhead, but it's not the easiest approach to it, so it gets less use than some other trails. This meant I needed to break out my snowshoes. It wasn't virgin snow, but it wasn't packed, either.

Dutcher Notch

It also doesn't have any particular views, which was fine on a gloomy, gray day.

Although only 1.9 miles, this hike pointed out how out of shape I am, thanks to 1,400 feet of elevation gain, plus the additional challenge of snowshoes. But since I was alone, I could hike as slow as needed!

As I approached the Escarpment Trail, there was a nice view of Blackhead (in the summer it would be obscured by the trees). 

Blackhead Mountain

The other thing this hike had was solitude - I encountered no other hikers on it that day.

No comments: