Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Visiting Tallman Mountain

I wanted to find a hike that was a relatively short drive (yes, I had a car, briefly!) that I couldn't easily get to via public transit. Tallman Mountain sort of fit the bill. One can get there via bus, but I don't think I ever have. Also, it wasn't an area written up in either of my local hiking guides. Was it dreadful? Well, it's in the Palisades, so it has to be at least okay ... but you're already on top of a cliff, so how is there a mountain?

It turned out to be perfectly pleasant. The Long Trail runs through the park, as it does along the entire Palisades. That, along with a bike path, forms a decent loop. The mountain comes in because the Palisades have a break where Sparkill Creek enters the Hudson. On its south side, Tallman "mountain" just seems like a minor hill, but its north face heads steeply down to the water. 

Tallman State Park
As always in the Palisades, there are views off to the east of the Hudson, although this section is somewhat lower in elevation. There is also a marsh here along the western shore, which is visible through the trees as well. 
Tallman State Park

No comments: