Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Walking from VCP

This month I was faced with the conundrum of getting to Van Cortlandt Park to do my trail maintenance but not feeling comfortable on the subway. I had learned last month that Metro North felt reasonably safe, and was better about masking. It's also a shorter ride - about 20 minutes - but with a two-mile walk to the station at this end, and a mile and a half from the station to the park* (7 total, round-trip). So, I was curious about the feasibility of walking.

It's 7 miles to the park, 14 miles round-trip. But these are the short days of winter. And with any of these options, I had to walk in the park, too. I opted to compromise: Take Metro North up in the morning, when it is pretty empty, and walk back. 


Palisades
*This is coming in from the Hudson line, west of the park; it's actually shorter to come in from the east on the Harlem line.

No comments: