Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Catfish Looping

On my final day, I didn't feel like hiking - I was tired. But I had come all this way, so it seemed a waste not to. So I picked another recommended hike, the Catfish Loop.

  Catfish Loop 

Let's get the bad out of the way. The disappointments: 
  • No catfish (okay, I didn't actually expect any) 
  • The viewpoint marked on the map had no view at all 
  • Overgrown laurel, very wet from the previous day's rain 
  • Odd keep-out signage on part of the trail. 
Despite this, it was an interesting hike, in part because I saw a lot of eft newts. It might be best to go during peak laurel. Here's a photo of the "view" from the viewpoint marked on the map. (I would blame my map being from 2012, but it's on the 2018 version, too.)

  Catfish Loop 

The keep-out signs are along the part of the trail that is near the Taconic Outdoor Education Center. They rattle off a list of don't, one of which is "No Hiking." Now what it seems to mean is no wandering off the trail and hiking in the woods (fat chance in a laurel thicket!), but it's rather unnerving to see as one is walking on a perfectly open and legal hiking trail. 

It was a nice final hike before returning to reality and NYC.

No comments: