Saturday, July 11, 2020

The most popular hike at Fahnestock

My big summer getaway was going to be a trip to the Adirondacks to hike some fire towers. But under COVID, everything changed. The admonition to "stay local" plus the risks of travel led me instead to a camping trip at Fahnestock State Park, an hour away.   

Canopus Lake and Shenandoah Mt. 

I drove up there Monday morning, which turned out to be the hottest day in a very humid week. For my first hike, I chose what I correctly suspected was the most popular one - a hike along the AT to a viewpoint overlooking Canopus Lake. 

On my first visit to the park, I had done this hike; this time, I went further north along the AT to Shenandoah Mountain. I saw six groups/solo hikers, including one group of about a dozen people, only two of whom were wearing masks. In general, the hikers I saw this day were the least likely to mask up when they encountered people. 

At the overlook, pictured above, I could see and hear the beach-goers at Canopus Lake. But I didn't linger, since standing in the sun was hot.   

Canopus Lake and Shenandoah Mt.

Shenandoah Mountain, above, had a nice view - one of the better views I was to see on this trip. It was worth the added distance. Plus, the crowds dropped off dramatically after the overlook.

At just over 4 miles one-way, or 8 round-trip, this was the longest hike I did - no record-setter, to be sure, but the weather was brutal. Plus I'm still not in my finest fighting trim.

No comments: