Sunday, July 12, 2020

Hiking the School Mountain Road area

On Tuesday, I looked for a more solitary hike, and headed west to the Hubbard Lodge trailhead. From there I did a clockwise loop over Round Hill, East Mountain, and back along School Mountain Road. 

  School Mountain Loop 

I started early on a misty morning, seeing a suprising amount of wildlife, including three deer. (And only four people.) Some of the supposed viewpoints were long overgrown; there was no view off of East Mountain at all. But there was an interesting variety of terrain, including old settlements.

  School Mountain Loop 

School Mountain Road, at the end, was nice, since it was wide, easy walking. A lot of the park has narrow trails that could use some trimming back. (This, I am sure, is the result of COVID, which has curtailed a lot of trail work. Come back another year and I'm sure things will be different.)

  School Mountain Loop

No comments: