Monday, July 13, 2020

Getting to all three lakes

I wanted a flat hike on Wednesday, so I opted to do the 3 Lakes Loop, as suggested in the park brochure. The 3 Lakest Trail starts at Canopus Lake, passes Hidden Lake, passes John Allen Pond (hey, not a lake!) before ending at Dennytown Road. But to do the loop, I exited 3 Lakes at Sunken Mine Road, returning via the Old Mine Railroad, 3 Lakes, and the AT.

  Three Lakes Loop 

I found the trail to be rather charming, especially on a foggy morning that gave me Adirondack feelings, and I'm not sure the photos really capture that.

  Three Lakes Loop 

The bit of AT south of 301 is interesting, too, in that it's on a built-up berm rather than following the contours of the land. I don't know what the story is here - if this is also part of an old railroad, or something else. 

The only part I didn't love was the large number of mosquitos. A lot of this trail is low and near marshes, so it's not suprising that our bloodthirsty friends were out. 

One last photo of a stream crossing - the orange is iron mine runoff, but I don't know what the cloudy yuck is.

  Three Lakes Loop

No comments: