Sunday, June 23, 2013

Beaches

Praia da Galheta by TheTurducken
Praia da Galheta, a photo by TheTurducken on Flickr.
Last week I didn't do much worth reporting on. Partially, this was due to spending my mornings in Portuguese classes, but even more influential was the dreadful weather - cold and rainy all week.

Saturday morning dawned clear, though, so I decided to hit the beach. I went to the east side of the island to see Praia Mole, one of the big surf beaches. Surfers were out, catching moderate waves. From Praia Mole, I walked to Praia da Galheta, just north but inaccessible by car.

Praia da Galheta is clothing optional, although I didn't see a single naked person. Supposedly there is more nudity in the summer.

Both beaches are quite beautiful. Praia Mole is, I hear, jammed wall-to-wall with people in the summer, but at this time of year it was simply not empty. There are a couple of surf schools, and a few restaurants, but I wouldn't describe it as "overbuilt." (Try the beach in Honolulu for that.) Galheta has no vehicular access, and thus almost no buildings.

I suggest staying on the main trail when traipsing between the two beaches. The side trails don't go anywhere except to dead-end private thickets rich with condom-wrapper litter. I'm much more disturbed by littering than random gay sex, but if someone is so short of privacy they're willing to have sex in pokey shrubbery, I'll let them have that privacy.

No comments: