Sunday, June 9, 2013

The weather

Remember, it's winter by TheTurducken
Remember, it's winter, a photo by TheTurducken on Flickr.
When I told people I was going to Santa Catarina, I heard two different responses. Quite a few people said, "Oh, Brazil! Should be nice and warm." People who knew a bit more about Brazil said, "Oh, it'll be winter down there. It'll get chilly." While northern Brazil is always warm, southern Brazil actually has seasons., and of course they are the reverse of those up north.

Well, I have to say, the folks who knew less about Brazil were right. At night it gets cool enough that pants and a light jacket or sweater are nice, but during the day it's been in the 70s and sunny. It's too warm, if one is outside, for jeans and long sleeves.

Now, the locals may beg to differ; I've seen plenty of long sleeves and jeans. I even saw an absurd girl wearing a turtleneck today. For every person I see bundled up, though, I see one in shorts and a tank. And they don't have Yooper blood in their veins - I'm built to withstand cold, not heat.

I may find myself buying some lighter clothes.

No comments: