Saturday, July 17, 2021

A cloudy tower hike

The next day's weather wasn't very promising, with the forecast calling for afternoon thunderstorms, so I hoped the morning would be no more than damp. I can handle getting wet, but I'd rather not be struck by lightning!

After a night of bad sleep, thanks to a leaky tent, I got up early in order to beat the storms. I headed over to Wakely, which is a very typical Adirondacks fire tower trail. It starts with an easy two miles on a logging road, followed by a steep, rocky mile. With all the rain, all these steep, rocky trails were essentially streambeds, increasing the challenge level.

Wakely

My feet weren't my only wet part. While it didn't rain while I was hiking, the air was humid and the trees were quite wet, so the effect was the same.

The view from the top were not much, because of the clouds. I'm sure they're much nicer in better weather. 

Wakely

As it turned out, there were afternoon showers but not storms. Still, I had to rest up and try to dry my boots out for the next day's adventure.

No comments: