Saturday, July 17, 2021

Hiking a tower double-header

The fourth day was overcast, but it looked like the rain might hold off. So I made the long drive to Stillwater Mountain. It was long mostly because the road to the trailhead is eight miles of dirt, and I wasn't driving any kind of high-clearance vehicle. 

I had the trail to myself. It's another relatively easy hike, much like Spruce - nothing tricky. 

Stillwater

Since it was still dry, I headed over to Bald. It has even less elevation gain, so it's quite popular. I managed to get off-trail early on, along with a group of young folk, but somehow we always managed to find a way back. The trail itself is quite fun, since much of it follows a rock spine. This means a lot of great views on the way up, and at the base of the tower. (And from the tower, too, of course!)

Bald Mountain

No comments: