Thursday, July 15, 2021

Up to the Adirondacks

I finally got to take a substantive vacation, spending eight days in the Adirondacks. While I was there, I hiked a bunch of fire towers, completing the Hamilton County Fire Tower challenge and the Indian Lake 4-3-2-1 challenge.

On my first day, I did Spruce Mountain, in the southern Adirondacks, to break up the drive. It's a relatively easy mountain, even though it has a good elevation gain; there isn't any scrambling or anything tricky. The views from the top are nice, although not as dramatic as the mountains farther north, where you can see the high peaks. 

Spruce Mountain

Then, after checking in to my campsite, I did one of the Indian Lake hikes, to Bullhead Pond. It's quite short, and the pond looks pleasant, but it wasn't a show-stopper. It was also a little hard to find - farther up the road than I expected.

No comments: