Sunday, July 18, 2021

Hiking Snowy Mountain

My next hike was the longest of the trip, at nearly eight miles round-trip. Snowy Mountain is one of the more challenging of the Adirondack fire towers. But at least I had a beautiful day for it!

This hike is another one with a long warm-up, then a steep, rocky, wet ascent. However, there was an added wrinkle - there were several unbridged stream crossings in the first half that could not be done drily. (Short of wearing waders, I suppose!) I quickly found out it was irrelevant that my boots hadn't dried out from the previous day.

Snowy

Not long after beginning the ascent, I met another solo hiker, and we hiked together for the rest of it. It was nice to have company for a change. 

Snowy

Near the top, there is a nice, open view. Then the trail plunges back into the woods. The fire tower itself is in the woods, with no view unless you climb it. But once you do, it's spectacular.

Snowy

Then it was back down again, down the wet rocks, across the rushing streams. By the time I was done, I was really excited to take off my wet socks and shoes! 

No comments: